Friday, November 7, 2008

Chanel Mobile Art

After waiting exactly 3 hours and 17 minutes outside on a cold and cloudy day with my best friend Anna, I finally got to experience the CHANEL MOBILE ART SHOW!!



The circular shaped mobile was an art piece itself. It had a modern feel with its snow white exterior. Upon entering inside, we immediately hit the coat check where all bag and coats were required to be checked in. It was quiet and a little mysterious even from the beginning where I had to sit on a bench where a line of about 4 or 5 other viewers were waiting.

A slim worker wearing all black with a simple Chanel logo on her shirt placed a set of headphones on me, and instructed in a whisper "Wait until she says go."

"Until who says go?" I thought to myself.

And then, over the headphones I heard a soft, subtle, and slightly eerie voice whisper to me that sent chills down my spine. I listened intensively, and slowly walked left like the voice ordered as if I was hypnotized.

There was one art piece that was the most memorable in my mind. The voice instructed me to lean against the wall on my right inside a dark hallway. I found my eyes automatically set on the art piece adjacent to the wall I was resting on. It was a strip of gray and pebbled ground, with puddles of what seemed to be fresh rain that was still dripping from the sky. In the reflection of the miniature ponds was the mirror image of a old fashion French apartment building. I could even hear the sounds from the scene: people knocking the doors, cleaners humming while hanging up laundry, couples arguing. The only interruption of the scenes were the ripples caused by the dripping rain from the imaginary sky.

At the end was a life-size plum Chanel purse, with the gold chained handles sprawled, giving the impression that the owner was in a hurry and tossed in on the floor. Inside were two flat screen TVs showing a scene from a movie (that I didn't recognize). The whole time, the eerie voice guided me and I almost feel like I grew a bond with this mysterious lady.

This show inspired by the Chanel 2.55 bag was one of those experiences that intrigued my brain, and made me think deeply about art,fashion and culture. The 3 hour and 17 minute was well worth the wait!





No comments: